Sunday, November 27, 2011

Six Months to Real Dog

I've always told new adopters that it takes about six months for the dog to feel comfortable in their new home.  Until that time they are always waiting for the other shoe to drop.  I've seen it with Eris, my cousins' dogs, and my fosters.  They just can't believe they're in such a great place forever until about six months has passed.

Luna has just about hit her six month anniversary and she is starting to blossom into a real dog.  The last time we visited Amber, she tried to get Amber to run with her (with no success).  Over the weekend, she really tried to get Ginny to play with her by offering play bows and playfully nipping at her shoulders (also unsuccessful).  At the dog park today, she felt comfortable enough to have a couple of sprints even though there were other dogs in the park.  It is awesome to see her coming out of her shell and realizing this is her home and we are her people.

Ginny and Luna...partners in crime.
Another great improvement is her attachment to me.  While I am flattered that she clings to me like a preschooler on their first day of school, she can be a bit too needy.  Recently, she has started following other people around and exploring new areas on her own.  She still checks in with me, but she is definitely braver than she used to be.

I'm glad she is finally relaxing enough to show us her true personality and I just love how happy she appears.  We are going to have a lot of fun together and I'm glad she's excited for the ride.

2 comments:

genji said...

Wait till they see you at a year, Luna. Ginny is a real cutie pie.

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

Finally catching up on blog reading. Luna has done so well in the past few weeks, hasn't she! I've had Beryl for about 19 months now and she is still throwing the odd surprise at me. But I'm really enjoying being part of her journey to become all that she can:)