Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Can I Hold That for You?

Luna has really taken a liking to her dumbbell.  When I bring it out her whole body lights up.  She knows it is treat time.  She just loves to retrieve the dumbbell so I've started making it a part of her therapy.  I will put it in weird places that require her to stretch and turn her neck.  My favorite spot right now is on the dryer's door.  She doesn't want to get too close to the strange machine, but her desire for food wins in the end as she carefully stretches herself forward to pick up the dumbbell.

Once Luna had mastered the dumbbell, I moved on to other items to show her that any item could be picked up.  At first, we started with stuffed animals (she still does not play with them), rope toys, and her basket muzzle.  Those were pretty easy objects so I changed things up again.  One day, before the accident, she was at work with me and I started giving her office supplies to hold on to.  My two favorites were a roll of tape and a pencil.  I'm sure she would have kept going all day, but eventually I had to stop laughing and get back to work.  Now if I could just train her to deliver messages down the hall...
Take a memo. 
I love the way she's holding the tape.

12 comments:

LA and BD said...

What a smart girl!

Auntie M said...

Oh those pix are just putting a big ol' smile on my face.
Her personality just shines thru.

Two Greyhound Town said...

So cute!

There is a lady on Greytalk whose dog suffered an injury last night that sounds a lot like Luna's. I gave her a link to your blog. I hope it gives her hope for her dog.

Sue said...

Priceless:)

Loving the sit. Song rarely does sit.

verobirdie said...

She is so proud to help, she makes me smile.

genji said...

She needs a sign that says, 'Will hold anything for food' :)

terriknits said...

Will hold food ... for food! I LOVE Luna!

Maggie said...

What a cutie! I found this blog on the greytalk forum. I lady posted up about her dog having an accident, someone had posted that they had babysat Luna, and told her story...including a link to your blog. I spent the past hour reading about her, I'm so glad she is getting better! She looks a lot like my Bella...may I ask what her racing name is?

Jay at The Depp Effecth said...

She's a real cutie, isn't she? Love the one of her with the roll of tape!

Now, if you could teach her to wrap parcels, that's a You Tube video that would get a million hits!

Witty Angel said...

She is the perfect example of "Will Work for Food".

Maggie, her racing name was KB's Witty Angel. Do we have a relative out there?

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

Reading about Luna I sometimes wonder if she's a Greyhound at all:) I can't imagine Beryl doing many of the things Luna delights in, let alone sitting so beautifully. Beryl sits with her back legs splayed out like a frog, not at all elegant! Or perhaps it's Beryl who isn't a real Greyhound, lol.

Maggie said...

Bella is "A Star Blackieto" and YES they are related, although not littermates, they both are Gable Dodge and Molotov girls. Gable is Luna's grandpa, and Bella's Dad. Molotov is both girls Grandpa, on their moms side. How cool is that? I just knew she had that look. :)