Thursday, February 14, 2013

Hiking at the Mansion

Last weekend we had a snowstorm that left about six inches of snow to play in.  Luna enjoyed running around in the snow, but I could tell she wanted a bigger adventure.
Cool shadows.
The mansion.
On Sunday, the roads were plowed, but there was still plenty of snow on the ground so Luna and I headed up to a local park that was once the estate of a prince.  Now, people use the grounds to hike the woods and pastures, sled on the hills, cross country ski, and horseback ride.  It's a really nice place to be.

Kids sledding on the big hill.

How's that snow and sunshine?
Luna spent the majority of our walk off leash and stayed on the trail the entire time.  This was great practice for recall.  If she got too far ahead of me I'd call her and she'd stop, look at me and wait until I was next to her.  If she lagged behind (usually because something smelled particularly good), I'd call her and she'd come racing back to me.  Generally, she stuck close to me which was comforting for both of us.

Fast recall.
The old barn smells great!
One of the bridges over one of the streams.  Come back, Luna!
Oh, your just going to sniff?
There's a good girl.
We met a lot of people and dogs on our walk.  Breeds included a St. Bernard, Newfoundland, Labrador, Standard Poodle, Puggle, Havanese, Irish Setter, Rhodesian Ridgeback, and many other mix breeds.  Luna even met some cross country skiers and some kids sledding.

The snow is quickly melting away.  We'll definitely visit this park again soon.  Hopefully, we can get one more snowy walk before the season is over.

No comments: