Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Four Months Ago...

Four months ago today was Luna's accident.  She has improved so much that it is hard for me to believe that it has only been four months.  I am so proud of her and her recovery.  This blog has really helped me see the value of all those small achievements.  When you're in the middle of a crisis, it is hard to see all the pieces that make up forward movement.

Last week, Luna did her hour of obedience training followed by a half hour of physical therapy.  She was totally wiped out for the car ride home.  Every week her stamina has improved to the point where she is walking at a brisk pace for about 30 minutes with 12 inches of water.  She still has a slight delay in her back left leg, but all the other legs are looking good.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, Luna is starting to get the hang of "play".  It is obvious when she is in play mode that she is not completely focused on her feet placement.  She becomes unsteady and folds over her left front leg a bit.  This is something that may improve over time.  It is good that she practices moving her body in play mode so she becomes more comfortable with how to handle her body and exercise those neurons.

Again, I am just amazed with how far Luna has come in such a short amount of time.  I am so thankful to still have her in my life and to see her enjoying every day with us.  I am also thankful for the wonderful doctors, vet techs, and physical therapists that have helped us come so far.  Most of all, I am thankful for everyone who has supported Mike, Luna and I through this experience.  This was certainly a team effort and Luna had a great team rooting for her every step of the way.

5 comments:

Mr.Mischief said...

I'm glad to hear she keeps improving and getting better day by day! :)

Auntie M said...

Well the Gemstones are waiting for the day Luna can come over and actually play. I'm thrilled that she's doing so well.

genji said...

Yay! 30 min? She sounds in way better shape than any of my lazy guys.

houndstooth said...

I still remember reading about her accident and how awful it made me feel. I'm so glad she's made such a great recovery! She is one very lucky girl!

Sue said...

She sure has come a long way on just 4 months.