Monday, May 21, 2012

Picnic Time for Greyhounds

Do you know "The Teddy Bear's Picnic" song?  If not, check out this video so we're on the same page.

This weekend was the spring Greyhound Friends of NJ picnic.  Tradition (started by my Mom) dictates that we must sing "The Teddy Bear's Picnic" song replacing all references of teddy bears with greyhounds.  It actually works pretty well, but it quickly becomes the only song you can sing all day.
There were way more tents set up.  I just couldn't get it all in one shot.
 It was the perfect day with plenty of sunshine and cool temperatures.  Mike, Luna and I went with our friends Brian, Michelle and their greyhound Renny.  You may remember Renny from the GFNJ Craft Show back in the fall.  To celebrate the picnic, Renny wore a hot dogs and cheeseburger collar.  Luna sported a fiery chili peppers bandanna.
Keeping a watch in both directions.
We checked out the vendors, admired the new dogs available for adoption, and ate plenty of good food.  Michelle and I tried to convince Brian and Mike that we should adopt a matching pair of greyhounds.  Both were white with some light brown spots.  They didn't buy into our idea. 
In line for Bobbin' for Biscuits contest.  Luna did ok, but she'll need to practice for the next picnic.

I offered a Greyhound Training 101 demonstration which was pretty well attended.  I talked about how to keep training fun, positive, and easy for greyhounds.  Luna demonstrated her sit, eye contact, and retrieval.  Because I was shouting, I couldn't keep talking for very long so I cut out teaching the fun tricks.  Oh well.  At least I'll have something to talk about at the fall picnic.

Relaxing in the shade.

Renny is too excited to rest.
 All too soon the picnic was over and it was time to pack up.  I wish we could have stayed all day.  Even though I'm sad that the picnic is over, I'm looking forward to our next greyhound adventure, Grapehounds Tour in NY.  Will any of you be there?





No comments: