Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Getting in Shape Together

There are plenty of reasons to get in shape.  Who knew that Luna's recovery would be my reason?  I've been saying for awhile that I wanted to start running, but never really felt any pressure to follow through.  A few things finally fell into place to give me the motivation I needed.

First, my dad completed the Disney World Goofy Challenge back in January (1/2 marathon on Sat. followed by full marathon on Sun.).  I was his cheerleader which meant that I was up early in the morning to see him off, running around the parks to cheer at mile markers, and jumping up and down at the finish line when he crossed.  I figure if I'm going to spend that much energy (and valuable sleeping time) at a race, I might as well be in it.  So my goal is to get ready for a Disney half marathon in 2 years.  Should be plenty of time.

The second reason (and probably biggest kick in the butt I needed to get started) is Luna.  The therapist recommended that we start jogging with her to help build up her strength before we let her run off leash.  Had Luna's accident never occurred I guarantee I would never have considered jogging with her.  It's just not my thing.  But now that it is doctor's orders, I'm ready to support Luna in any way I can.

So today I bought a new pair of sneakers so we could get started.  Since Luna had physical therapy tonight I gave her the day off, but I still ran.  I'm really looking forward to getting in shape with her.  Wish us luck!

5 comments:

houndstooth said...

Jogging?! Oh, you're a braver soul than I! Bunny and I are doing the Idita Walk this year, but jogging is a step up from where I am right now. If we had a vet who said one of the dogs needed to jog, though, I'd be out there killing myself to do it!

terriknits said...

oh, good girl Luna! I'm so glad you're doing so well!

genji said...

Glad you and Luna are joining the running club. I'm up to 150 miles so far this year in my quest for at least 1000 miles. Congrats for getting a new pair of sneakers hitting the road.

Sue said...

Think you've overlooked the fact that Luna needs two pairs of trainers:)

Hiking Hounds said...

I love the picture! She looks a little worried that you might actually make here wear the shoes. :-) Sometimes I jog with the pups, I used to do shorter races years ago. It's great that Luna can do some running now and she'll love having a partner.